7.25.2007

Summer 2007: Sculptural Wooden Gourd

"How I spent my Summer vacation, 2007:"



Perhaps not the WHOLE summer, but four weeks have been spent at a sculpture workshop in Marin, meeting and working with some very talented artists, (more photos available on Flickr.)
Carlton Bradford was the instructor. He's a really funny nice guy. For my first wood project, Carlton challenged me to make this weird gourd (that I had found at a vegetable stand last Fall on a road trip with my mom).

This was the first time I've worked with wood, and believe me, it is not the same as working with clay! Don't even get me started about doing sculptures out of metal :) Pound, spark, zap, ouch.
The good news is I made a gourd. The bad news is that it took me a couple of weeks to a gourd! emphasis on ONE little @#%! gourd. Yes, yes, we're learning a PROCESS...I understand that (I think...)

Much of the time was spent simply getting used to learning to use new tools and working with a new material. Wood is a lot more forgiving than I'd first thought. I started to get the hang of pushing curves, turning edges, etc. And, all I can say, is thank you for the invention of the power tool.

The first couple of days, we did self-portraits, out of clay.
"Emerging Self":



No comments: